Monday 29 April 2013

Shouting and screaming online...

My father told me to never publicize work. He came from an era where your work speaks for you. These were the time where one never judged a book by it's cover or title. If the work was of quality,the word went around by mouth
Fast forward a few decades,things went mass market. Everything got focused to capture the rising aspirations of the people. We,at a social level are still riding to that wave of aspiration. Products,any kind we can think of have opted for appeal over substance..........
OKKKAY!! Toooo serious!! This is MY blog!!! Nothing serious happens here!!!!

See,it's been a while since one thing has been bothering me. I make it a point to become a pain in the arse of everyone I know who may bother to check my posts,be it facebook,google+ etc.etc... Ever since I came to know that people actually read the stuff you write on your 'blog',specially when every time I log on to my page,I see this number staring me in the face,labeled page view. I would have never realized the addiction to watch this number increase with my every visit,had I no started writing as a hobby.
All I want,every single time I visit my page,is to see a bigger number than the last time!! Now, the guys who built this facility to write,gave you sufficient methods of spreading YOUR word around.You have access to all social networks where you can shove your blabber down the throats of your online social circle,leaving it upto the 'friends' to digest/throw up your intellectual gibberish. Or,you can leave your chants as it is,and some inquisitive minds will find your blog titles intriguing enough to click on. The best part is when you see the map of the world having regions marked in green,showing you the far and wide corners of the globe from where people actually go about reading your stuff,you bloody well feel like an author without the pains of running behind a publisher to print your stuff.
All you need to see is that your TITLE is catchy enough.Speaking of titles,In recent times,authors(the official ones) have lost their inhibitions in naming their books.
It's not that I have seen 4 generations go by,but,what I have seen is a gradual transition in the reader's palate. Long gone are the days when words like sex/fuck,in a book's title stopped people from buying it.
A while ago,I saw this title 'Fuck it,The spiritual way'.I was sllllighhhtly taken aback,equally amused. Then recently,I saw another book about 'legendary historical fuck-ups'.Yeah,that one costed a fortune,which eventually kept me from purchasing it. But as usual,that isn't the point!! The point here being that there are fellows gutsy enough to put up risky titles,that surprizingly(not so) has a receiving end.And so much for what? Yes,to earn a living. As cocky and unlike the usual 'me'as it may sound,gone are the days of the subtle. Times have come,where before anything you feel anything tangibly, it turns up on Facebook,you like it a million times.The creators push your excitement to the point you stick to some form of media like Youtube to get the juice out of anything you are looking forward to,and when it is out in the world,very often it turns out to be a complete disappointment. Just for instance is the cycles of promotions a movie release goes through.

I am yet far from ending a post conclusively but all of what I write is basically a battle between what I feel is right and what my father told me long ago.I have this new found liking of watching documentaries on many of the things that we use in our day-to-day life.It turns out that ost of it is all show and no go.A result of easy access to the masses.
I feel,there is no one pole you can cling to that will take your ship across the ocean.

Ahhh,forget it!!! Just somehow read this!!! I want to be happy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment