Tuesday 13 August 2013

After college??

Goodness! This is like the most ubiquitous question I have come across in recent times. But I have to thank the question, for it has given me something to write about at a time when I was scraping the tank bottoms of my head for a topic.
I was talking to a very close friend of mine when the question popped up...literally from thin air. Why is there ever such a situation where what you look forward to, is probably having coffee ,maybe sometime later....and suddenly, you get interrogated about your future plans? Not my friend's fault for sure. Frankly speaking, the question scares a lot of things out of me, apart from the obvious. NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE, mind you!
I get crazy ideas about my future. At least a few. Actually a few too many.
Okay, suppose there is some XYZ that I intend to have as my job description, this is usually the response I get from the people whom I tell what I want to do.
People in general: "So what do you plan to do after college?"
Me: "I want to do XYZ."
People in general: "Oh! Yeah, XYZ sounds good. But what are you going to do earn a living??"
If you have seen this movie called 'Good Luck Chuck' (What the .... AHEM!!), there is this scene where Jessica Alba (Oh!! So now you're going to  watch the movie..huh??) says to the hero when he asks what her job is.. that she is supposed to be a Penguin Caretaker. The guy goes like "Okay, Seriously, what do you do for a living?"
Hmm... There is another classic question. This one is although for the 'corporate interviewers', it's a pretty nasty question.
"Where do you see yourself in a matter of 5 years?"
If I evvver get called for an interview....iffff.....evvvver.... now you see the probability.... So if I do get this mystical call, my response would look something like this....
"सर जी! Answer तोह मुझे पता है, पर मैं  नहीं बताऊंगा!"(Hey dude, I know the answer, but I won't tell you!)

Now you know why I won't get called in the first place. You see, these companies can see 4 years into the future. They want someone who can show them the future beyond the future they can see. Why not recruit fortune tellers? So they definitely saw me typing this(whoever 'they' are) and that small chance I had of getting called went out of the window about 4 minutes ago. Great!

Besides, the idea of getting 'selected' for something lost it's charm in my head. Yeah, it sounds like the 'grapes-too-high,must-be-sour' theory, but it might be that kick in the backside that might just send you sky-rocketing your way into finding/doing what you love doing the most.
See? A frustrating question actually made me write this much. I'm almost looking forward to the right kick. Not the 'Between-the-legs' kind... Definitely not..
No! No! Noooooooooo!!! AAAWW!! Mummaaaayyyyyy!!!


2 comments:

  1. am i the friend mentioned here?
    i see coffe on the line next to it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry dasa, that's one rare coffee I'll be drinking in your absence :P

      Delete