Saturday 10 August 2013

Airplanes

All of us know what Orville and Wilbur did. They leaped into the air. And it has been ...err...what? About 110 years since they left behind a legacy that enabled humanity to take flight into our skies and beyond.
I see the kid in dad every time an aircraft passes overhead. For about 8 years, we stayed very close to the airport. But for some reason, he never gets bored of a take-off, or a landing. He never misses it. Dadaji(Dad's Dad) was in the Air-force. Probably that's why.
The first thing my Dad taught me was to draw a car.  I have a feeling that he taught me to draw cars before addition. Hence my obsession for heaven on 4 wheels. But I want to tell you about something else. My first...and probably my only venture into the world of origami. Dad could make paper fly. He taught me to do the same. Just a few folds here and there...and we had, what was called a paper plane. Fancy! At least to a 3 year old. Maybe even to a 21 year old...
Yeah, making paper planes in the 3rd year of your Undergraduate program. Sounds silly. Is silly!  But each time your piece of folded paper lingers in flight, gliding it's way through air, every second my heart feels like a 3 year old. This is obviously apart from the fact that I feel, think and probably behave(not sure about this one) like a 3 year old.
Specially when a friend and you,both have made a plane each, and your's last longer/goes farther in flight, WOW!!! YESSS!!!!!! I might actually start jumping around!! Okay...maybe I won't jump around....
I even have a theory about the whole process of making a paper plane. It might sound a bit too obvious... but maintain symmetry. And how, after giving the world that piece of advice, I feel like an equivalent of the Wright brothers in every 'wright'. Yeah, just then, this dude knocks the door of my head. He's come to deliver a message, he says. When I ask him what's the message, He tells me, "Shut up!" Huh?? I ask him, why he's mad at me.  He says...."Err... Sir, No, I'm not mad at you..SHUT UP...That's your message."
I was like "Oh!..."
By the way, I forgot to mention how miserable I feel when my fierce competitor, who so ever it may be, has his plane going farther than mine. 
I can hear the knock on my door again. 
"I'm not opening this time!!!! Sucker!!!!"
Yeah!!! How we make fancy folds on the plane's wings, trying to make it more 'AERODYNAMIC', and how....somehow, the air takes the wind out of our theories of aerodynamics! You're laughing?(Hope so...) Okay, then you don't have a wind-tunnel at home....which is usually a good thing. At least, in that case, you wouldn't make fun of people making paper planes.
Right now, there's this song 'Airplanes', bu Hayley Williams. Brilliant song by the way! The lyrics go like..
If we could pretend that 
Airplanes in the night skies're like shooting stars,
I could use a wish right now....
I am not wishing for anything in particular, except for the usual things...I even got bored of wishing for them now, but who wouldn't care for a few granted wishes? From where I'm writing this, even if there's a shooting star falling, I wouldn't see any.... Clouds, I tell you. Hey wait! I could wish these clouds away... Maybe my paper planes come in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment